Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Messy times

While living aboard and working on the boat at the same time things can get ugly real fast. Sawdust, dirt and grime mixed with dock lines, tools and parts that get strung about make for a big mess. Moral begins to decrease and one begans thinking that the projects will never be finished.

I noticed my wife was starting to snack more and sit around longer. This is not like her and I knew something was off. I did not know what to do because I was not sure of what the problem was. I had a gut feeling to just clean and so cleaning I did. I took a day and just started cleaning. I cleaned and stowed everything as if we were going to sell the boat or host a big party on board. First we had tarps covering almost the entire deck our boat looked kind of like the Vietcong river raft I've seen in old war movies. I removed all the tarps and stowed as much stuff on deck that I could. Then I scrubbed the entire deck and cain that must have had 10 years of grime and dirt caked on. I polished the cabin top with boat polish. To my amazement things became calm again. Our boat was shining even with all the scars from negelect, flaked off paint she is a Westsail again. My lovely wife was smiling and started working on things, she became motivated. We could see our Westsail was bueatful with her port windows and lines like no other in the marina. People walking the docks began to stop and look ole Harbinger over a few times. I am becoming a proud sailor as they inquire about her maker and year.

Lesson learned - I must keep her clean and be keen to my surroundings. If my wife is not happy then something's not right. She's a tough cookie but she is also a delicacy flower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment