Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

New stove head and deck iron.



While I continue fixing and finding all the deck leaks, I was lead to the stove head and deck iron. The one installed has a load of black rusting stainless an there is more silicone in every nook except where it should be. I searched the web for replacements and promptly ordered a hand made copper smoke head and a deck iron from marinestove, here. The smoke head is nice and looks durable for a smoke head. The deck iron is a very heavy brass piece and I'm pleased with it.



As mentioned I was not shocked to find gobs of silicone all over the place so I took a deep breath and began the three days of picking out silicone from non skid. I picked, sanded, scraped and cursed until the deck was as clean as she ever was going to be.


With a clean deck I began the process of re-bedding a piece of teak I found that was perfect in size. It is a teak wench backing pad I ordered from Fisherys supply that came with an offset. The hardes part was finding some way to cut the opening. Lucky a friend at the marina offered his jig saw and I was able to cut the 6" hole into the teak wench pad. 


Before re-bedding the teak pad with epoxy I went ahead and placed four coats of cetol 



Sprayed it with a hose for a good ten minutes and, yeah, no more leaks.

Inside the boat our stove had little to no heat reflector. Look how small the aluminum garbage is behind the stove. I promptly removed the wood stove and found that it was improperly mounted. I also ordered and installed a stainless backing plate for the stove to protect the wood bulkhead.  


Wow look how it was burning the bulkhead! 



All finished and looking much better but more importantly its much safer.



















No comments:

Post a Comment