Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Boomkin work


The survey we had done back In march mentioned rudder-cheeks and boomkin issues but nowhere did it mention that its "rotted beyond repair". 

The boomkin rebuild begins...

I found a close replacement for the boomkin wood in Seattle and for me this was the toughest part of the job. I have limited tools being a lveaboard and with that said, finding timber a guy can work with in this unusual size was frustrating. I eventually setteled on a 10' long, clear vertical grain, kelin dryed 4" x 2" Doug Fir timber. 

Removal of the old boomkin was very simple consisting of 3 carriage bolts, 6 stanchion bolts, 1 brace bolt and 1 wood screw. The boomkin was rotted so badly it crumbled into flakes leaving me with no template. 


Without a template I sized up the new piece using an angle finder and a tape measure.


Using a router I curved the edges of the boomkin. 


Today ill treat the wood and cut out the rudder cheeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment