Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Making a new hatch


The hatch about to be lifted out.
After passing the inspection we needed to get other issues taken care of quickly. We had a deck hatch with a stubborn hold to the deck and it needed to be removed. Just from looking at the hatch I noticed rot and knew it would not want to come out without a fight. I summoned a Monster energy drink and began the fight with a small metal pick, a countersink bit, long flathead screwdriver, and a screw gun.

I began by taking out the dowels using the metal pick and countersink bit that was attached to my screw gun. This exposed the brass screws that I also removed with the screw gun. Next I had to apply a bit of force with the long screwdriver and began the process of prying up of the white oak planks. Once the pieces were removed it was a simple to remove the heavy water logged hatch of which underneath grew a colony of white mold. 

With the hatch removed I began cleaning up the area and carefully took all the pieces outside in order to keep mold spores isolated and sawdust down to a minimum. 

I then procedded to make a subfloor out of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood and started cutting the white oak floor planks. This was a matter of cutting the new pieces, test fitting and sand or trimming when needed. I re attached the new and old salvaged planks with stainless screws that again were countersunk in order to match the remaining cabin sole. 
The Birch on bottom and the white oak on top.

All in all this project took an afternoon but I still need to find white oak wood dowels and epoxy / varnish the hatch. I figure another day would be needed to complete the project. For now I leaving it in for a few weeks just to make sure it's going to work and if I need to make adjustments. 
Fitting nicely.
Using a hand planer to get the planks all uniform
Placed in the sun you can see the old planks.

No comments:

Post a Comment